What qualifications do you have that are relevant to your teaching post?
- Bmus Hon in folk and traditional music from the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- PGCE in Music Education from Edinburgh University.
- Mountain Leader award (SML) qualifying me to take students into remote mountainous upland terrain.
Can you please tell us how your interest in your subject area has translated into the world outside of school?
- Alongside my job as a high school teacher I am also an active performing professional musician. I play with the ceilidh bands ‘Celtic Heat’ and ‘Hotscotch’ as well as with my own world music duo ‘Chamberlain and Haywood’.
- This ensures I keep in touch with the music industry and have an active knowledge of the reality of making a living from performing music.
Can you summarise what is it about your subject that you love?
- How individual music performance is. Each student brings their own personality to practical instrumental playing and singing.
- The breadth and depth of musical styles in the world and how they often tell you so much about the culture that they emerge from.
- Playing music with others and the unique real time interaction that happens when you do this.